What is an explanation of benefits? Let’s start with what it’s not — it’s not a bill.
An Explanation of Benefits (EOB) is a document (paper or electronic) you get from an insurance company like Delta Dental of South Dakota explaining your claim for a recent dentist visit. And like we said, it’s not a bill.
An EOB will tell you:
- Treatment performed (description of procedures);
- Dentist fees charged;
- Insurance company payment (how much is covered by insurance);
- Amount the patient pays, such as coinsurance and deductibles;
- Coordination of Benefits (COB)information, if you’re covered by more than one insurance plan;
- The deductible paid, if any; and
- Amount of annual maximum benefit.
After you get your EOB, you’ll know what (if anything) you may owe your dentist. But that bill will come directly from your dentist.
If you have questions about your EOB or the information in it about the claim, fees and payments, contact your plan provider. If that’s us, contact our customer service center at 1-877-841-1478 weekdays from 8:00 – 5:00 (CT).
Now that you know more about EOBs, learn how to read your next one.